Friday, November 25, 2011

Lists Aren't Just For Christmas

The Thanksgiving holiday tends to cause people to muse over the things in their life that they are most grateful for.  Here's my list in order of how it hits my brain ... not necessarily in order of importance, but in some instances that will be the case:
  • My Children - I learn something from them everyday .. about myself, about life, about the world around us.  There is no way I'd trade having exactly who they are for one second.
  • My Family - The ones I'm related to by blood may drive me crazy at certain points, but when push comes to shove they are solidly there without question.  Can't beat that with a stick.  I also have friends that I consider family.  There is seriously no stronger bond.  Period.
  • Health - enough said.
  • Friends - Would we truly be who we are without the people that we've met and have in our lives?  Think about it .. about the acquaintances that we've had throughout the years and the friends that we've had for long or short times.  What did we learn?  What were we introduced to, or kept from?  The experiences and lessons make us who we are, and those would not be the same, or have had the same result, without those people.  Life may not be perfect, but life would not be as great without them.
  • Stubborness - It keeps me from lying down and giving up ... I've needed that more than I'd like to admit!
  • Creativity - It keeps me sane, allows me to look at situations from multiple perspectives, allows me an outlet with artistic endeavours, keeps me trying to find a solution to whatever I'm facing .. I'm not me without it.
  • Humor - If the funny side can't be found somewhere, somehow in a situation ..... well, life just becomes way more difficult.  There's something amusing in everything.  You just have to be looking for it!
  • Open-Mindedness - We all can be close minded about things that we're passionate about .. even if we shouldn't be.  The fact of the matter is that when it comes right down to it, making the effort to stay open minded and not judge on first sight is seriously important.  It allows us to open our minds and our lives to people and options that we might learn from, might be good for us, might assist with a situation, might enrich the life or moment for someone around us.  The possibilities are endless, but they all begin with being open minded, even if just for a moment.
I know that if I sit here and ponder, there will be dozens more, but this hits the highlights.  Be grateful for what you have, try not to obsess over what you don't, and give huge hugs (physical and/or virtual) often to those that mean something to you.  Most of all, enjoy YOUR life.  It's the only one you've got!  Happy Thanksgiving!

~ The Girl In The Little Black Dress

No comments: