Saturday, February 14, 2015

Valentine's Day Thoughts

Today is Valentine's Day. When I was a kid, I loved it for all the cards and candy I might receive in the "box" on my desk. As I got older, I would stress over whether or not I would receive a flower in class. After high school, it became a mundane holiday that annoyed me if I wasn't dating anyone, & brought me joy if I was dating someone. My mentor died on Valentine's Day in 2002, and there were a number of years that I hated the holiday for that memory. This year I realized something. ....

Much like every other holiday, those who we hold dear may or may not be our blood relatives, but they are the family of our choosing. They bring us joy and laughter, positivity & solace, every day of the year. They are the ones we should celebrate on this day of loved ones. The media sometimes leads us to believe that if you're not being spoiled with jewelry & flowers, Valentine's Day isn't complete. I disagree.

On this, the day of celebrating those we love, the ones I love the most are my children, my sweetheart, my family, & my closest friends. I love, adore, & appreciate them more than words can say every day of the year. Today just happens to be their day, no matter what their title.

Take a moment to smile at someone, give a huge hug for no reason to a friend, a kiss on the cheek to someone you adore, a moment of gratitude, whatever works for you today. You just might discover that love comes in many colors, shapes, and forms, and love might just appear back to you!

Happy Valentine's Day!

~ The Girl In The Little Black Dress

No comments: