Sunday, April 5, 2015

Playing Catch (Up)

I got home from work late tonight. Technically, that happens most of the time, as I work weekends bartending. Our dog greeted me at the door, then followed me back outside when I went to sit on the patio and decompress. She puttered around the yard for a bit, then brought me a toy. My arms & legs were tired ... I didn't want to play fetch. Her response was to go crazy throughout the yard on her own. It made me wonder, are people that much different?

We wait anxiously for the one we want to see to walk through the door, then if they, for whatever reason, don't feel up to spending time with us, we go a little crazy. Whether it be through disappointment, or venting energy in some fashion, it happens to all of us. What if, no matter what the reason for our exhaustion, or foul mood, or "just not feeling up to it", we took the opportunity to put aside our own needs or wants for even 5 to 10 minutes, and simply made an effort to be there for that other person?  That other being in our immediate life that wanted nothing more than for us to walk through that door. Would our world, and the world in general, be a better place? Would couples argue less, would children feel more secure, would there be a little more positivity in the universe?

Just my thoughts. On that note, I'm going to go play catch with our dog.

~ The Girl In The Little Black Dress

No comments: