Monday, September 1, 2008

Introductions, World Political Thoughts, Etc.

So ... Hello from the new resident southern-born, blonde, random-thinking chick on the block (or blog .. as this particular case may be). FYI - I tend to have lots of questions which cause me to think in circles. Yes, I'm kind of opinionated ... I'm a female so that's pretty standard! This blog is simply my thoughts, my musings, my questioning of both myself, society and the world in general. No more, no less. Take it how you want. Enough with the intro ... So this past weekend I witnessed a seriously fascinating discussion occur. A neighbor who is an orthodox jew ended up at a neighborhood party in conversation with the nephew of another neighbor who is a religious islamic. Turns out that the general distrust and at least mild dislike that is apparent in the middle east between the two religions happens in this part of the world also. I guess I just don't get it. At least 1/4 of the world's major religions all stem from the same source / world area / prophet base / thought process / Whatever. That being said, does it not stand to reason that the similarities would be a positive? Obviously there are differences ... overall beliefs, ways of eating, honoring, etc. ... but as the similarities are at the base core of each, then would it not be more effective and positive to focus on those? Is it mainly the differences that scare people in general? IS THE WORLD POPULATION SO INSECURE WITH ITS OWN BEING THAT IT HAS TO LASH OUT AT ANYTHING THAT IS SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT OR THAT IT DOESN'T UNDERSTAND? If you think about it, that applies to almost everything. And seeing as the current focus on the differences has lead to everything from war to political issues to crime, would it not stand to reason that focusing on the similarities, the positives would be more effective?? I am definitely not attempting to be a Pollyanna here, but if everyone stopped and took a moment to think of one thing that they did not understand, that caused a feeling of "out of the comfort zone" when encountered, and then pondered that one thing long enough to find even 1 similarity between their own life/being and the aforementioned thing .... Not saying it's a fix, but it could be a major step in a better direction.

No comments: