Sunday, February 12, 2012

Happiness is more than (insert appropriate noun or verb here)

Welcome to Valentine's Day weekend!  A time for romance, a time for high expectations of that special someone, a time for flowers and candy and candlelit evenings and ..................... honestly, a bunch of bullshit.  < Disclaimer: I AM NOT GOING TO TRASH ROMANCE WITH THIS BLOG ... feel free to keep reading :) > 
What is it about most holidays that makes the marketing media think that they should put forth a load of advertisements that promote the theory that if you're not receiving the diamond of your dreams or having the perfect date, that your day and life will not be complete?  The jewelrey company Kay, for instance, advertises that "every kiss begins with Kay" ... malarky.  I once heard a comedian say that the majority of kisses began with Miller Light, not Kay, and I'd have to agree.  Basically it boils down to this, why are we so programmed to believe that our lives are unfulfilled without a perfect "special someone" or "special evening" on a specific calendar date, that we lament over it ad nauseum and disregard all the other possible fabulousness that surrounds us?  I will now use my own life as an example.

Special "perfect" moments in my day today specifically were:
Cooking with my 9 year old son (sweet potato and chorizo stew in the crockpot, additionally we made oven baked sweet potato chips with the extra sweet potatoes) ... taught him how to safely chop the veggies and I loved the look of accomplishment and satisfaction on his face when we put it all in to cook.
Standing at the door of my closet after cleaning it out and organizing it (that's going to seriously cut down on my get ready time in the mornings).
Hearing my daughter tell me that I'm the greatest mom for trading cars with her so that I could go to the car stereo place to determine the problem with her CD player in her car.
Finishing the last piece of choreography for the current show I'm working on, and being thrilled with the prospect of setting it and seeing it live.
Jamming out to my favorite playlist driving down the road and then continuing to do so while in the house.
Playing with an absolutely adorable puppy outside the convienence store while his owner was inside purchasing coffee.
Laughter for no reason other than it seemed funny at the time to everyone involved.
An email thank you from a company higher up in a different country.
My son giving me a pink construction paper card that he'd made himelf with "I love you so much a for all the things you do for me here is something for you" handwritten in it.

I realize that none of these things involve expensive or semi-expensive gifts, or dinners out, or flowery statements of adoration from a significant other.  However, they alone and together make up a pretty fantastic day on this particular weekend that's supposed to be about (according to the marketing media) hearts and flowers and feelings and presents.  I have nothing against Valentine's Day, but I think everyone would do well to remember that the real gifts & stellar surprises are the ones that occur in areas we might forget to notice.  The handmade card of a child, or the happiness of accomplishment on someone's countenance that you've helped.  The simple pleasure of your favorite music, or the great feeling that occurs when you accomplish something that you've procrastinated about.  Laughter with family and friends, or the snuggly "kisses" of a pet.  Happiness for any reason or no reason at all.  Ya ... I'm pretty sure St. Valentine would approve.

Happy Fill-Your-Heart-With-Whatever-Brings-You-Smiles-And-Happiness Day!!


~ The Girl In The Little Black Dress

No comments: