Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Puppy Power!

I am currently the foster mommy for three beagle mix puppies.  It's a bit like having a rough & tumble group of curious four-legged toddlers in the house. Puppies in general take time, patience, and understanding.  Three of them together can be, to put it mildly, Nuts. 

Molly is definitely the ringleader.  Like the kid who tends to instigate but then makes sure she's not the one doing something stupid when you come around the corner.  Buddy, being the only boy, tends to be the most vocal of the three. As if he's overpowered by his sisters and must make himself heard whenever possible. Gretchen is the calmest, but most curious.  She figured out how to open the back door by pawing the handle, and is the reason I reinforced the back fence as she discovered a tiny area where she could get under it to go explore outside the yard. There are constant, daily conversations with all three of them about not chewing on things like pillows, or furniture, or the staircase, and it's a normal occurrence for them to run in circles all holding onto the same toy at one time. I am definitely not lacking for free entertainment!

The thing is, even though any hope for a quiet, calm existence is currently topsy turvy, they are so sweet and lovey that I just melt and can't be mad at them. I came down with the flu a couple weeks ago, and woke up on the couch with all three of them napping on top of me keeping me warm. They'll lay their adorable puppy faces in my lap when I sit down and be content to snuggle while watching the news, and I've never felt so welcomed home when I open the door... even if I've only been gone for a couple minutes to get the mail!

I'm only their foster mommy, and eventually they'll be adopted by families who will love them as much as I do.  I'll be sad to see them go, but I'm enjoying the joyful craziness they bring while I'm lucky enough to have them!

~ The Girl In The Little Black Dress

If you're interested in adopting a furry family member, or want to foster a rescued animal, this is the link for the Animal Adoption League: www.mynextpet.com


No comments: