Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Varying Sentimentalism: Positive & Negative

I have these 2 pitchers that are glass and rattan that were given to me by a less than nice person during a remission phase (of his .. he was trying to change ... as it turned out, the leopard doesn't change its spots.  That, however, is a different story).  I look at these and wonder, if I mosaic in between the rattan, while I know it will change the entire look of the pitchers, will it change what they represent?

How is it that things given to us by others, tend to represent the phases of our relationship with that person?  If the relationship was negative, the thing has negative connotations & we wish to smash it, flatten it, melt it down or change it (point and case, the wedding band that was my ex-fiancee's, who was an abusive jerk, I melted down and turned into a cocktail ring for me .... again, a different story for a different day).  If the relationship was positive, we tend to want to treasure the object years after the relationship is gone.  These are simply objects.  Innate entities that are usually synthetic and were probably created by random underpaid humans in Malaysia.  Why do we place so much sentimentalism on them .. in either direction?  Logically, it makes no sense.  However, We Do.

I think I'm going to go mosaic those rattan & glass pitchers now .... maybe creating a bit of positive change, then throwing them on Esty and creating some positive cash will truly change them in my mind!  

~The Girl In The Little Black Dress

No comments: