Monday, February 24, 2014

What if .....

We lost a neighbor today.  A sweet, engaging, elderly gentleman whom I only had surface level conversations with over the past 8 months since we moved here.  He lived 2 doors down, and was a lovely individual.  He hadn't been seen for 2 or 3 days, people got worried, no answer at the door, no sight at the windows ... a neighbor brought out a roof ladder and looked in his upstairs window, he was lying lifeless beside his bed.  Police and fire and medic and eventually, the coroner showed up.  It's so tragic when a life is lost, but it can also be a time for reflection.

My neighbor was a lovely man whom I did not know well, but always enjoyed our short chats when we would encounter each other.  I can only hope that someone would notice my absence in the same way that our neighborhood did if I was not around for a few days.  I hope that, even though he was found lying beside his bed, that he went swiftly and peacefully. One can only wish that for those that we encounter in our lives.

Personally, it makes me ponder what I've done with life, and what I want to be remembered for in my life.  I've gone through many personal trials ... those of you who read my blog know this.  I feel that I have become a better person, a better mom, a better partner, a better human, through those life lessons. But what would others say?  If I didn't show up at normal locations for a few days, would anyone notice?  Think about it with your own life ... regardless of friends, and family, and colleagues, and neighbors, and activities .... if you didn't show up for normal life for a few days, would it be noticed?

For me, the clincher is this ... if I were to leave this earth, what would I have left behind?  I know that I would leave behind two amazing, capable, self-reliant, talented, kind-hearted, open-minded individuals in my children. I have raised them as such.  I'm pretty sure that my family and closest friends would say that I was a strong, capable, kind-hearted, open-minded, caring person, but would they then carry that forward in my memory?  I would hope so.  I would hope that the elderly man that I randomly conversed with on the bus, and the woman on the street that I shared a smile and laugh with, and the server at the last restaurant that I went to where we laughed over an order malfunction, that their days were all a bit brighter or that they would remember me in a positive light.  I would hope that my professors would remember me as intelligent.  I would hope that anyone who ever crossed my path would remember me as caring.  To me, the important part is that however I am remembered, it would be in a positive light.

LIVE EACH DAY AS IF IT IS YOUR LAST.

Love, Hugs, and Positive Karma,
~ The Girl In The Little Black Dress

No comments: